[fdo] PSA: Mailman changes, From addresses no longer accurate

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Feb 17 15:29:54 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 23:38, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> We have hit another step change in aggressive anti-spam techniques
> from major mail providers. Over the past few days, we saw a huge spike
> in the number of mails we were failing to deliver to GMail and
> outlook.com in particular.
>
> [...]
>
> Mailman has also now been reconfigured such that if it spots a
> potential DMARC violation, it rewrites the From address to be
> @lists.freedesktop.org, keeping the original author in Reply-To. It
> also strips DKIM headers. This seems to be about the best we can do,
> unless and until the major mail service providers offer us some
> alternate way to send mail. If you are replying privately to someone,
> you should check very carefully that you are replying to them and not
> to the list.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has offered help with our woes. After
some configuration changes, we are reverting back to always sending
email with the From: address of the individual sender.

I've done this on a Sunday afternoon as the lists are quiet: I'm
intending to monitor them through the evening and Monday to see what
our failed-delivery rates look like, and if we can continue to send
messages. In the longer term, we're also looking at enabling things
like ARC.

Cheers,
Daniel