[fdo] Lots of wiki content rewritten

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Mar 17 19:23:19 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 22:09, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> I've read through all of the new pages. I fixed some formatting issues in
> the mission statement, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the new
> content.
>
> About the only change I'd suggest is that we use the term 'free software
> desktop' instead of 'open source desktop'. But, I also understand why
> that term is both confusing and potentially contentious.

Thanks a lot for this!

I'd rather avoid the free-software vs. open-source debate, yeah.
Personally I use open-source because I feel free-software is
frequently too exclusionary - but I'm not the organisation to begin
with, and the organisation does literally have 'free' as the first
four characters of its name ...

I do think there's some value in keeping the 'open source' descriptor,
since it's so much more widely recognised these days. Could we use
'free and open source' (or 'free software and open source') in the
leading mentions then shorten it later? Or spell out FLOSS to begin
with, then later just refer to it as FLOSS? It feels more unwieldy to
me, but hey ho.

Cheers,
Daniel