[fdo] Xlib events timing ? etc.

Paum B. fraybauhaus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:15:26 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I will try to describe my problem, even though I am not a C programmer.

I made a fork of st terminal emulator, which is capable of receiving OSC
messages, which I use for setting terminal font size remotely from another
program. Everything works but sometimes (it depends how much is terminal
working eg. printing characters) it hangs, with various X messages, such a :

X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or internal
Xlib length error)
... or...
X Error of failed request:  BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for
this connection)

...or...

XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"

..or sometimes it just segfaults.

When I am changing font size with default key binding of st terminal,
everything works in every situation.

I am thinking that keystroke raises some Xevent, which makes some properly
timed changes and that is the reason why it is not working when I am pusing
terminal to change size from outside, so X thing does not know about it.

I don't know if I am mistaken or not, that is why I am searching for an
answer on this forum.

Thanks for reading.

paum