[fdo] Revision of freedesktop.org

notebook notebook22312 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 19:13:04 UTC 2021

Hello,

the initial reason I'm posting this is, because I see some problems with the current style of how content on freedesktop is presented.

(best read in markdown style)

## Problem

- Specs are presented on [1], but their discussions are stored "randomly" in mail archives from 2003 to 2021.
   - This leads to: Status of drafts is difficult to grasp
     (you have to fish through the archives)

- Dead links are possible. E.g. the draft for XSettings [2]
   is filled with dead links; Repo of "Free-Media-Player
   Spec" [3] is unreachable.

- Apparently, organising the source structure of specs does
   not follow a standard. While the `basedir` spec [4] works
   with only a makefile, the `autostart` spec [5] requires
   autogen.sh,configure.in,Makefile.am (wt* btw :D).

- Specs are very verbose due to their xml syntax

- Drafts for new specs are not easy to post and
   handle (discuss & work on). The result: drafts are
   hidden somewhere on the internet, where you can
   only accidentally stumble across (see draft for
   dark themes [6],[7])

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/
[2] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/xsettings-spec/
[3] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/free-media-player-specs/
[4] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/tree/basedir
[5] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/tree/autostart
[6] https://blog.elementary.io/the-need-for-a-freedesktop-dark-style-preference/
[7] https://github.com/elementary/os/wiki/Dark-Style-Preference

## Suggestions

The following list presents abstract improvement
suggestions to solve the *Problems* stated above.
For concrete implementation ideas, see the next
chapter.

1. Provide a platform, where specs and their
    discussions are grouped together in one place.
    Like in a bulletin board, it should be easy
    to see the latest discussions on a topic. Some-
    thing like one forum per spec.

2. Provide a platform, where dead links are not
    possible; No external links.

3. Define a standardized, low-hurdle way for writing
    and organizing specs. E.g. Markdown, editable from
    the browser looks promising to me, here.

4. Provide a platform that makes it easy to write,
    discuss and develop drafts.

## Implementation Idea

Some customized solution might be best, but difficult
to implement.

Therefore my first idea would be something like gitlab
with a separate repository for each spec* (i.e. posting
a new draft would mean creating a new repo). The
README.MD would be the spec itself.

* I'm not too familiar with gitlab, but this might be
   doable through their sub-repository function.

With this solution
- Specs and their discussions (issue tracker) are tightly
   coupled.
- Specs could be easily written through gitlabs web interface
   using Markdown.
- Specs could be easily worked on through merge requests.

## RFC

I'd like to hear what other people think of my proposal
to revise freedesktop.org.

Regards
Chris / DarkTrick