[Freedreno] help: mipi dsi drm driver on 8084

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 06:15:43 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 5:26 AM, vinay simha
<vinaysimha at inforcecomputing.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i had backported msm-next dsi branch to 3.10.40 kernel
> https://github.com/vinaysimha/kernel-msm-ifc6410/tree/ifc6540-drm-4.4.4-dsi
>
> created the panel-truly in drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-truly.c- having some
> issue regarding probing this driver even though i added the panel
> description in apq8084-mdss.dtsi.

> mdss_dsi0: qcom,mdss_dsi at fd922800 {
>
>              panel = <&panel_truly>;
> }
>
> panel_truly : panel {
>                   compatible = "truly,otm8018b";
> };
>
> But panel-truly is not getting probed. So created a panel_simple_create, but
> mipi_dsi_device instance is not able to access so i cannot set dsi->lanes,
> dsi->format so the mipi_dsi_generic_write is failing.

hmm, I think calling panel_simple_create() is not the right way..

when you of_drm_find_panel(), what happens?  Is it returning -EPROBE_DEFER?

hacking around the normal way to get the panel from DT is probably
going to result in the panel not knowing what it's resources are, so
you should probably focus on why it is not working with
of_drm_find_panel().

Hai Li might have some suggestions.. I've asked them to add some DT
bindings docs for the msm parts of it.  From that snippet above, I
guess you may also need:

  qcom,mdss_mdp at fd900000 {
     connectors = <&mdss_hdmi_tx, &mdss_dsi0>;
  }

or something roughly like that.  Looks like the dsi node would also
require "qcom,dsi-host-index".. and:

                interrupt-parent = <&mdss_mdp>;
                interrupts = <4 0>;   /* MDP5_HW_INTR_STATUS.INTR_DSI0 */

BR,
-R