[Freedreno] [GSoC-15] Enabling Freedreno on Android

Varad Gautam varadgautam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 04:12:54 PDT 2015

On 03/16/2015 11:59 PM, Emil Velikov wrote:
> On 16/03/15 16:11, Rob Clark wrote:
>> If you have access to an ifc6410 board, that would probably be a
>> pretty good way to start.. on that device, the primary display is HDMI
>> (which is already well supported in drm/msm), and we can use something
>> very close to a mainline kernel[1].
>>
>> Obviously in the long run, it would be nice to get this working on
>> some phones/tablets.. which would require backporting the upstream drm
>> + DSI code, and writing panel drivers for the specific LCD panel in
>> whichever phone/tablet.. but starting on ifc6410 could allow for some
>> of that to happen in parallel, depending on exactly how much work is
>> needed to get drm_gralloc working.

I'll get an ifc6410 right away. CyanogenMod doesn't support the board
yet, but I think we can find a similar phone while doing the distro
integration later.

> I would strongly suggest that as a preparation (although I'll let Rob be
> the judge)
>  - checkout android-x86/kitkat-x86
>  - rebase their mesa kitkat-x86 branch on top of upstream 10.4 [3], and
> add it to the build.
>  - get the kernel Rob mentioned, and integrate it into the build (manifest)
>  - grep through the code for "nouveaufb" and "inteldrmfb". Check the
> "offending" commits and prep similar patch(es) for freedreno. It should
> be trivial 5 line patch. Iirc there are initscripts (+ other?) which do
> funny things depending on the framebuffer. Don't forget to update your
> manifest :)
>  - set BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS=freedreno and leave it build a complete image.
> Note it will take quite some time.
>  - If it builds try booting it up :)
>
> With the above information at hand I believe you'll be OK with setting
> up a plan/proposal. How much you'll focus on the kernel,
> gralloc/hwcomposer or mesa depends on what you'll uncover :-)

Thanks for breaking it down, I'm on it. Will the kitkat-x86 build work
with ifc6410 (or do I need a patched CodeAurora build [1])?

> Last but not least setting up an Android build is going to be a pain. If
> you're unsure of anything or you might be getting stuck just ask.
> There are too many things for me to go through in a single email :P

Sure thing :).

[1] https://www.codeaurora.org/xwiki/bin/QAEP/

Thanks,
Varad