[Freedreno] [GSoC-15] Enabling Freedreno on Android

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 05:16:59 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Asking the CyanogenMod folks if they would be interested, but I think
>> the better alternate would be working with upstream android [1] and
>> later hooking things up on a particular distro, since CyanogenMod
>> sources seem to keep the kernel separate from the distro-specific stuff.
>>
> Hmm I thought AOSP was considered upstream Android. Guess this shows how
> noobish I'm in the area.

afaict, QAEP is AOSP + qcom HAL's (ie. camera, vidc, gralloc/hwcomp, etc)..

Since camera/vidc is missing in upstream kernel, and gralloc/hwcomp
are the parts we want to replace, it may be easier to ignore QAEP..
or at least focus on AOSP (and look to what they do in QAEP for
debugging when things aren't working ;-))

>> I looked into Replicant, and I believe their community might show little
>> interest for freedreno - they seem to have a 'qualcomm is bad hardware'
>> attitude [2] and support only Mali and PowerVR GPU devices so far.
>>
> Indeed, we've had a chat with Paul at XDC2014 and the general pick is
> about the modem/GPS integration within the SoC. Not sure if the board
> Rob recommends has one or not, but there is another major piece here,
> which leaves Replicant out for now :'(

fwiw, ifc6410 (and nexus4 and a fair number of other boards.. anything
with apq80XY) do *not* have integrated modems.. so IMHO they should be
valid targets for replicant..

> "The device must be supported by CyanogenMod officially (better) or via
> 3rd party repos"

hmm, yeah.. maybe better to focus on AOSP (and possibly CM).. at the
end of the day, if it ends up in AOSP then it should eventually
trickle into these other projects when they rebase (afaiu)

BR,
-R