[Freedreno] [GSoC-15] Enabling Freedreno on Android

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 15:17:35 PDT 2015

On 22 March 2015 at 20:33, Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org> wrote:
> Emil,
>
> sorry about the delay, was off-line a bit..
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> i think we can target to get graphics, video playback (and maybe
>>> audio), WLAN and BT to work with an open source AOSP based build, but
>>> it will start to be tricky for things like camera, GPS at least...
>> Any particular reason on the wording "... to work with AOSP _based_
>> ...". Do you know of (m)any obstacles wrt getting things back into the
>> AOSP project ? Is it that hard for non Google employees and/or
>> partners to get things up-streamed ? Can you share your experience on
>> the topic (or link to a blog/other) ? Thanks !
>
> the meaning of my sentence was to work with AOSP, instead of working
> with the downstream 'CAF' version of the AOSP. CAF is what has been
> pointed out earlier, as the place where Android for Snapdragon can be
> found.
I guess this is the part I'm a bit unaware:
Doesn't  QComm contribute to AOSP, or it's up-to the individual
manufacturers (Android Partners) which purchase Qcomm's IP, to get
things up-streamed ? Or is CAF the same to AOSP as linux-next it to
linux ?

I did spend some searching on the topic, and could not find any
connection from CAF that leads back to AOSP :-\

> So the recommendation was just to use/focus on the upstream
> AOSP, and if needed contribute to it. I wasn't implying there are any
> issues with contributing on AOSP , and actually I don't know if there
> are any, since I am not involved there.

Ack. Was hoping to hear any feedback about interacting with AOSP.
Wasn't meant to imply anything.

Thanks for keeping up with my cheekiness.

Emil