[Freedreno] [GSoC-15] Enabling Freedreno on Android

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:42:57 PDT 2015

On 6 May 2015 at 13:51, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Varad,
>>
>> On 5 May 2015 at 08:26, Varad Gautam <varadgautam at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Emil,

>>> I get a number of conflicts when rebasing kitkat-x86 over 10.4, while
>>> upstream/master builds under Android. Would you suggest I skip these and go with
>>> the rebase? I was wondering if, with st/egl removed, master can build all the
>>> needed components under Android - so that I can use it instead.
>>>
>> Hmm what issues do you come across with during your rebase ? I would
>> assume that most changes should be pretty trivial - I'm rather busy
>> atm, but will try to give it a bash later in the week.

Ouch just noticed that kitkat-x86 was rebased on top of
upstream/mesa-10.5.4. So the whole 10.4 topic can be dropped.

>> On the question of using mesa/master - it won't work as is with
>> Android. The DRI modules are not built, although Chih-Wei from
>> Android-x86 has addressed most/all of the problems [1] [2].
>>
>> I'm guessing that 10.6(master) would be better than 10.4 from
>> freedreno (ifc6410's) perspective, although I'll let Rob be the judge
>> of that.
>
> 10.6/master has a lot more features (ie. significant chunk of
> gl3/gles3), but I think 10.4 should be fine for getting android up and
> running.  For a4xx I recommend 10.5 or master, but a3xx support has
> been around a lot longer.  Do keep in mind that master now wants NIR,
> not sure if that is missing from android build files.

NIR for Android (be that master or 10.5) should be ok.

> So I think from my perspective, either of 10.4/10.5/master should be
> fine.. just start with whatever is easiest from android build
> perspective.

Ack. Varad feel free to ignore 10.4 and check which of the kitkat-x86
and mesa-10.6 branches works out for freedreno.

On a related topic: personally I do parallel builds `m -j3
libGLES_mesa', and then switch to -j1 if there is a build problem.
Otherwise the output is a bit hard to read.

-Emil