[Freedreno] freedreno

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:56:15 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Jukka Marin <jukka.marin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to bother you, but I noticed that you've got something to do with the
> xf86 freedreno driver.  I am using a Utilite2 (Compulab box with Snapdragon
> 600 (APQ8064)) with linux.  I need to use the display in portrait mode (1080
> x 1920).  I can rotate the display with xrandr or the GUI settings (Ubuntu),
> but the rotated display is not being refreshed properly.  I need to drag a
> window around the screen to "repaint" the contents.  Also, it seems the X
> server crashes every few minutes when the display has been rotated.
>
> This is the driver version I'm using:
>
> [ 28057.146] (II) Module freedreno: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [ 28057.146]    compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 1.3.0
> [ 28057.146]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
> [ 28057.146] (II) freedreno: Video driver for Qualcomm processors
>
> I see that 1.4.0 is the latest version.  Do you think it would work any
> better than 1.3.0 in portrait mode?  Is there someone (you?) who could help
> me to get portrait mode working?

There were a few fixes from 1.3.0 -> 1.4.0 but nothing directly
related to rotation.

There are a few known issues w/ rotation and -freedreno ddx.. but they
were not so easy to fix because of how the xf86-video-freedreno code
doesn't share the same fd_device w/ the XA code.  On the other hand
the issues don't exist with xf86-video-modesetting (since only single
fd_device).

So, if you are using a reasonably recent xserver, then instead of
using xf86-video-freedreno, I would recommend xf86-video-modesetting
(which will use glamor for accelerating 2d, and does a better/faster
job of it than XA)..

(There were some fixes in mesa a3xx code a couple weeks ago, so mesa
11.0.4 isn't a bad idea)

BR,
-R