[Freedreno] [RFC PULL] Add Display Support for Qualcomm SDM845

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Feb 14 14:37:56 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 14 February 2018 at 13:50, Sean Paul <seanpaul at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 07:22:53AM -0500, Rob Clark wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 3:30 AM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
>> > This one I guess you can't get around though. Can they still run from
>> > the one plane, or do you secretly consume two planes?
>>
>> I think it is still the case, like mdp5, that you need two hw pipes..
>> but actually it gets more crazy, since there are some cases where two
>> planes could share a hw pipe.
>
> Right. Large fbs might require 2 pipes, and multiple overlapping or adjacent small fbs
> can be serviced with 1 pipe.

I didn't know about using a single pipe for multiple framebuffers.
That's quite special indeed.

I think virtualising probably makes sense in that case: rather than
just getting around limitations, it's seeming like more of a VC4
situation where they just really aren't actually planes in the first
place.

Cheers,
Daniel