cdrtools and CDDL... time to resurrect this project

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Mon Aug 21 06:00:46 PDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:21:46PM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>Common rumor is that only the build system is CDDL licensed. This is not
>true as of current cdrtools-2.01.01a11.

<snip useful summary>

>So you would think, that mkisofs is fully GPL? Not true:
>
>$ fgrep 'Common Development and Distribution License' -r .
>./diag/scsi_cdr.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version
>1.0 only
>./diag/modes.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version 1.0
>only
>./diag/defaults.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version
>1.0 only
>./diag/getnum.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version 1.0
>only
>./diag/cd_misc.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version
>1.0 only
>./scsi_cdr.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version 1.0
>only
>./modes.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version 1.0 only
>./defaults.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version 1.0
>only
>./getnum.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version 1.0 only
>./cd_misc.c: * Common Development and Distribution License, Version 1.0 only
>
>Seems like this is mixed GPL and CDDL code, which is IMHO not allowed by §2
>of the GPL.

Yup, absolutely. In Debian we're still using one of the last
fully-GPLed versions and we're about to drop Joerg's build system and
replace it with something simpler and GPLed. That's for the etch
release at least, for etch+1 I'm hoping to be able to move over to
something else entirely and drop cdrtools. <fingers crossed>

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
"This dress doesn't reverse." -- Alden Spiess