[Fribidi-discuss] fribidi & arabic shaping

Tomas Frydrych tomas at frydrych.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 23 03:04:01 EST 2002

I want restate the point I made a couple of days ago which was not
picked up. A proper shaping library should be able to do the
shaping for the entire Unicode space, not just Arabic. This cannot
be done without messing with OpenType fonts, because the
general intention of the Unicode consortium is that Unicode be a
semantically defined code set, i.e., without presentation forms,
only one code point per letter. Arabic has been assigned
presentation forms only because of legacy issues, other code
pages were not.

Now, I can use FriBidi for all of these sets, legacy or not, but if we
add an Arabic-only shaping engine on the top of it, I will still need
some other shaping engine beside it that will do the job for the non-
legacy code pages too, leaving the Arabic-only shaping engine
superflous. Conditional compilation is not a good solution here,
because I will possibly be linking against FriBidi already installed
on the users system, rather than providing my own version of
FriBidi with the application.

So, yes, I want a good Arabic shaping engine based on the
presentation forms to use with AbiWord in very near future, but I do
not want it loaded just because I linked against FriBidi, because
one day I expect to do the shaping using the FreeType Layout
library, and I will still then need to use FriBidi to do my bidi layout.

Tomas