[Fribidi-discuss] fribidi & arabic shaping

Tomas Frydrych tomas at frydrych.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 23 03:04:02 EST 2002

> Besides, adding shaping
> to fribidi is reinventing the wheel as Pango which relies (relied?) on
> Fribidi already does it (and yes, Pango is toolkit independant, even
> though the fact gnome/gtk relies on it could mistake people into
> thinking otherwise).

Pango is not portable. The following is a quote from the
README.win32 file:

"There are two Pango backends written for Win32: pangowin32 and
pangoft2. Pangowin32 uses the Win32 GDI font API. Pangoft2 uses
FreeType2. Neither one is even close to being as useable as the
X11backend. They are buggy and slow, and print copious amounts
of debugging output."

Pango really only works on X11, I need a shaping engine that will
work well on win32, Mac, QNX and BeOS (the current AbiWord
platforms), and, unfortunately, Pango is not the answer.

But otherwise I agree, FriBidi should do the bidi-layout only.

Tomas