[POLITICAL] Re: [Fribidi-discuss] License question to the pro ject owners

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Sun Jul 13 05:43:16 EST 2003

My worry is not about people, who take the software and use it.

My worry is about people, who submit improvements to the software but
impose such licensing terms that would make it impossible for me to
legally use their improvements with software, to which I contributed, and
which I use as well.

The MPL appears to have loopholes, which would allow programmers from
country A to submit improvements, and license them to all the world EXCEPT
for country B.  Using the software in country B would then be in violation
of law.  Even if country B's laws would have excused them from respecting
those discriminatory license restrictions, the restrictions would make it
more difficult for country B software users to do business with other
countries.

The LGPL does not have such loopholes.  If anyone tries to restrict the
license of derivative of a LGPLed software package, then he would be in
violation of the LGPL and his restrictions won't hold.
                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.