[FriBidi] Fribidi 2.0 Status?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Sep 4 19:04:42 PDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Harold Putman wrote:

> Hi Behdad,

Hey,

> > There has been no demand, so I didn't felt any pressure to finish
> > it, but I may go and do that later this year.
>
> No demand?

I meant there has been no demand to release the new code base in
its current form.  There is a lot of demand for getting Arabic
shaping in FriBidi, I know, but I want to get it right and that
needs some work...

> I've been lurking on this list waiting to see if Arabic
> character shaping will show up in fribidi.

Fair enough, but how am I supposed to know that if you don't say
it? :-)

> The company I work for is looking at doing Arabic on a proprietary
> display. We are using UTF-16 and wanting to map
> a string of logical Arabic characters to their Unicode presentation
> forms. Is that in fribidi yet?

No, not yet.  But note that that code exists in the BiCon [1]
project.  The code there works pretty good, but is not exactly
what I want to do in FriBidi.

> I think there are probably many non-Arabic speakers who'd like to get
> this type of code from someone who knows the language rather than try to
> piece it together from books and end up embarassing ourselves.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Harold Putman

Regards,

--behdad