[FriBidi] fribidi2 licensing on statically linked embedded systems?

Praveen Patil pkpatil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 07:47:33 PST 2006

Hello All,

I have a query on fribidi2 LGPL licensing.

LGPL seems to require any proprietory software to dynamically link
(say dll or shared lib) any LGPL'ed library like fribidi, so that the
user can update the library. But on embedded systems, there is
typically no dynamically linked library and the library source files
needs to be statically compiled and linked in to the ROM image.

How does fribidi2 licensing works on statically linked embedded
systems code? To be specific, if I am going to use the fribidi2
library in my embedded code as below, does that satisfy LGPL license?
- Keep the fribidi2 library source files (as they are, without any
modifications with all the licensing information in source files
intact) in a separate sub directory, statically compiled and linked
with my code.
- State that this subdir is under a different license.

Thanks,
Praveen