FriBidiEnv (was: Re: [FriBidi] fribidi and shaping arabic characters)

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Mon Jan 30 19:02:58 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 21:02 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>   * fribidi-run.c (free_runs, run_mem_chunk): Used if FriBidi is
> not configured to use malloc for each run.
>

> So, to make a thread-safe build of FriBidi with no static memory,
> one can build without --disable-debug --enable-malloc, and don't
> build the deprecated stuff...  I'm going to add an option
> --disable-depreacted for that.  I may even make --enable-malloc
> the default, but that's going to slow down FriBidi a bit, and
> it's not really used with multi-threaded applications
> currently...

Looks to me like a regression in the case of multithreaded applications,
which need to run FriBidi on more than one thread, and for which
malloc() is too slow.

FriBidiEnv was used not only to configure FriBidi operation but also for
managing dynamic memory (structs which describe character runs).
                                                   --- Omer
--
Every good master plan involves building a time machine.  Moshe Zadka
My own blog is at http://tddpirate.livejournal.com/

I may be affiliated in any way.