[FriBidi] Incorrect Arabic text rendering in maperver

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun Jan 23 16:39:23 PST 2011

On 01/23/11 18:59, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Hi Behdad,
>
> Does this look like the same problem?
>
> http://imaptools.com:8080/dl/fribidi-problem.png
>
> Notice the square box after the a-Diaeresis

No.  This is an encoding issue.  You have UTF-8 text, but treating it as if
it's Latin1.  Hence, for U+00E0 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH GRAVE which has the
UTF-8 representation \xc3\xa0, you are treating that as Latin1, converting it
into two Unicode characters U+00C3 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH TILDE and
U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE.

> Also does FRIBIDI_CHAR_FILL get converted to a single utf8 character?
> What is its value?

\xef\xbb\xbf.

behdad