[FriBidi] FriBidi Installation

John Brown johnbrown_105 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 19:04:16 PST 2012

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 05:58:20 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:35:03 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > >
> > > There's not really much I can help you with.  You need a build
> > > environment set up first.  There's nothing FriBidi specific to that.
> > > It's a Windows issues. Then you can compile FriBidi.
> >
> > Just installing MSYS+MinGW should be all that's needed.  Then you just
> > do the usual Unix stance: "configure && make"

list of obstacles snipped, adding mine

I am using a git checkout on Windows. I saw some of the warnings mentioned
earlier but I ignored them. The following files were built:

./lib/.libs/libfribidi-0.dll
./charset/.libs/libfribidi-char-sets.a
./lib/.libs/libfribidi.dll.a

The problem is:
$ make
  CCLD  fribidi.exe
fribidi-main.o:fribidi-main.c:(.text+0x165): undefined reference to `fribidi_cha
r_set_desc'
fribidi-main.o:fribidi-main.c:(.text+0x180): undefined reference to `fribidi_cha
r_set_title'
... many other undefined fribidi_char_set_* ...

I assume that this is because libfribidi-char-sets-?.dll and its corresponding
import library were not built. I have tried a few releases, but I never
succeeded in building the charsets DLL. Normally this is because of a missing
'no-undefined' on the libtool command line, but no matter where I put the flag,
it would build only the static library.

Regards,
John Brown.