[FriBidi] embedded levels of a string with parenthesis

Samiullah Khawaja sami.khawaja at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:43:42 PDT 2012

Agreed about the standard part but I have to make sure my text gets
rendered correctly. so:

Currently it is:

R N EOR -> R e EOR

What if I change it to:

R N EOR -> R R EOR  (this looks correct to me). Is there any reason for not
doing this? Will this give me any further issue or will it cleanly solve my
problem? Comments?

Thanks.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:25 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> That's standard behavior.  It's broken, I know.  But that's what the
> Unicode
> standard requires.
>
>   http://unicode.org/reports/tr9/
>
> There's work being pushed by Microsoft to address this in the next version
> of
> Unicode though.  In the mean time, bidi formatting characters are your
> friend.
>
> behdad
>
> On 09/27/2012 12:33 PM, Samiullah Khawaja wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I use the string "hello (world) مرحبا العالم" in fribidi it gives be
> > base_direction = RTL and generates the embedded levels. It generates the
> > embedded level of the ")" after "world" equal to 1.
> >
> > Is this correct? I think it should be equal to 2. as the it is part of
> the
> > embedded English (LTR) text. Note that the text is starting with arabic
> and
> > then ending on the ")" in string array.
> >
> > --
> > Samiullah Khawaja