[FriBidi] embedded levels of a string with parenthesis

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Fri Sep 28 08:47:53 PDT 2012

On 09/28/2012 10:43 AM, Samiullah Khawaja wrote:
> Agreed about the standard part but I have to make sure my text gets
> rendered correctly. so:
>
> Currently it is:
>
> R N EOR -> R e EOR
>
> What if I change it to:
>
> R N EOR -> R R EOR  (this looks correct to me). Is there any reason
> for not doing this? Will this give me any further issue or will it
> cleanly solve my problem? Comments?

I think you should take a step back and ask yourself how you came up to
the problem.

If this is a static string, simply place an LRM after the closing
bracket, and the problem is solved.

If this is a string put together by program, your processing might need
to be a little more subtle, depending on the precise context. For a
simple example, a program that puts together an email address should do
this: ("%s ‎<%s‎>", name, address). This ensures that,
regardless of what language the name and/or the email address is in, the
brackets do not go all crazy. Of course, this only works assuming that
the paragraph direction is LTR.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh