[FriBidi] log2vis() misbehaving with Arabic text?

Philip Semanchuk osvenskan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:35:15 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

    Hi Philip,

    Comments below.

    On 14-10-21 11:42 AM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
    > log2vis() puts the Shadda in a different place than the BAR
    > (Better-Arabic-Reshaper):
    > log2vis: u’\ufe94\ufef4\u0651\ufe91\ufeab\ufe8e\ufe9f'
    > bar:     u’\ufe94\u0651\ufef4\ufe91\ufeab\ufe8e\ufe9f'

    Which one is correct depends on how you are going to use the results.
The
    rule in question is written down here:

      http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#L3

    If you want, for example, to output this sequence to a non-bidi-aware
    terminal, then the result that FriBidi is creating is correct and the
BAR is
    incorrect.

    Looking at the BAR code, I'm much more confident in FriBidi being
correct than
    in BAR.

Hi Behdad,
Thanks very much for the informative reply. I learn something new every
day, including the fact that I have a lot to learn.

I feel sure I should have a followup question but I need to experiment some
more before I can ask it.

I agree with your confidence in FriBidi over BAR. The latter is great for
what it is, but I’m sure FriBidi sees more use and review.

Thanks again
Philip