[FriBidi] status of pyfribidi pyfribidi2 etc etc

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Mar 31 03:27:18 PDT 2015

I'm trying to rebuild

pyfribidi(pyfribidi-0.10.0) / pyfribidi2(pyfribidi2-0.8.0)

for a new windows machine, but am encountering difficulties.

I used to use the build.vbs script from http://svn.silentsound.net/pyfribidi/,
but although the script mostly works OK in terms of patching various C issues
and I get a fribidi.dll built, I find that whichever of pyfribidi / pyfribidi2 I
use I'm getting missing entry points with the 0.19 series of fribidi.

fribidi_unicode_to_utf8
fribidi_utf8_to_unicode

The only difference between the two sources I have for pyfribidi / pyfribidi2
seem to be in the copyright dating and in the module name.

Looking at the source code of fribidi 0.19.6 I see that log2vis is deprecated
and it is not clear which interface I should even try to use.

Is there a more modern version of pyfribidi?

Looking in the various repos I see that fribidi_unicode_to_utf8 is in the old
code, but I suppose I should really try and upgrade to use the latest version if
at all possible. Additionally the old fribidi_logvis seems to have a different
argument structure to the interface that pyfribidi.c uses.

What should I be using/doing?
--
Robin Becker