[FriBidi] Attributed unicode

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Feb 5 11:13:38 UTC 2018

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I would like to know if there's
a way to attach attributes (eg colour) to the unicodes that enter the fribidi
api. In the reportlab case we allow rather arbitrary changes to the unicode
strings that represent text eg

paragraph('<span color="red" fontSize="14">I</span>n the beginning.......

where the initial capital I is larger and a different colour.

If this happened in a word that I want to pass to fribidi is there a way to see
where the attributes change in the return from fribidi? I imagine this must be
an issue in html rendering as well.

I looked at various unicode mechanisms (eg variation sequences), but none seem
appropriate to changes of font, size, weight, style or colour.
--
Robin Becker