[FriBidi] Attributed unicode

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Feb 6 09:02:19 UTC 2018

Thanks for the reply,

 > Robin,
 >
 > Why don't you track the position of your target (the CAPITAL LETTER I here)
 > via the log2vis mapping that most bidi implementations, including FriBidi,
 > provide?
 >

 > -Behnam

unfortunately I know little about the internals of fribidi. I have been using
work of others who contributed to reportlab quite a while ago. Although I have
been interested in printing since the 70's I don't have a lot of knowledge in
non-latin scripts. Currently reportlab routinely uses a very old version
pyfribidi/fribidi. Looking in the pyfribidi code I see this

fribidi_log2vis(logical, (const FriBidiStrIndex)length, &base_direction, visual,
                              NULL, NULL, NULL)

which I think is leaving out the mapping stuff entirely

The pyfribidi code seems to be unmaintained for a long time and when I search
fribidi I find fribidi_log2vis in fribidi-deprecated.c so I was a bit concerned
I would be doing the wrong thing to try and improve based on the log2vis
interface in pyfribidi.

Is there a less deprecated interface to do text reordering/shaping or is it
worth providing for the mapping with an improved pyfribidi log2vis?
--
Robin Becker