[Galago-devel] Questions about Galago API

praveen kandikuppa praveen9 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 12:28:37 EEST 2004

I already have a patch to use galago as the other backend along with
gaim-remote which i enhanced a bit. But the one main thing stopping me
from submitting the modified patch was  no support for buddy icons.
There is one more and that is execution of remote commands like gaim
uri's or showing an away message etc. It is also required for the
evolution bounty but it would be good to have it generally to drive IM
via other applications.
             Since you have said that the avatar code might take some
time to complete, i will be submitting the galago patch soon. Right
now the galago code seems forced on the gaim remote one and i am not
too fond of the way the gaim remote API is there currently.  It seems
that way because for gaim remote i have to use callbacks etc and is
asynchronous but for galago it is the opposite,
               Personally i would very much like to junk the gaim
remote implementation and use galago exclusively. It is far more
elegant to be notified of presence changes than to use polling which i
am currently doing for gaim remote and also it is IM independent. I
will  enchance galago integration as and when new API becomes
available. Other than that i have finished the main bounty
requirements and also put up an initial patch on the bugzilla.

Thanks,
Praveen.