[Galago-devel] extending presence

Christian Hammond chipx86 at gnupdate.org
Tue Apr 26 11:57:27 EEST 2005

Wow, sorry for the late response. I actually haven't been reading my
e-mail too much lately, and there's usually no traffic on here! :)

I've heard many requests for the situation you're describing, and it
doesn't really fall under the presence model I'm aiming for. However,
I would like to see, or start, a profiling model, spec, and
applications sometime in the future for such a thing. Profiles would
be very flexible, and could enable/disable various services, in theory.

As far as popups, if applications moved to a common notifications spec
(such as the one that Mike Hearn and I proposed), all notifications
could easily be shut off at once. However, we don't have any official,
agreed upon spec for such a thing yet.

So, in short, the aim for Galago is to provide user presence
information. Your description of profiles is very much compatible with
the project, but is more of a sub-project that wouldn't depend on
Galago. It'd be neat to have, though.

Christian