[Galago-devel] Soylent: Get and Set Fields API

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 11:53:14 EEST 2005

On 7/15/05, Christian Hammond <chipx86 at gnupdate.org> wrote:
> Rather than working with numeric IDs, we should be using an object
> system.

YES please, I don't think people in general appreciate the value of
using object systems and so tend to do lots of unneccesary work. For
example, in my project I didn't make decent objects of my components,
just some structs that "were enough". It took me several weeks to make
it somewhat working and still it had some issues plus extending it was
a pain.

Then I did a smart move by throwing the structs away, making proper
objects and it took me half the time and work to make it work better
than it did before. And the system is easily extendable.

Plus you get the easy bindings.

[...]
> Collections

These are also on the top of my list of Good Ideas(tm).

Again, in my project I'm using hashtables to pass argument data
(strings) through dbus and it's extendable to the end of the world
(=memory+swap) without breaking comaptibility. It doesn't work for all
things of  course.

But the collection scheme sounds very good IMO.

Well, actually, I liked the whole proposal :)

Is this on the wiki?

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi