gnome-mastermind trademark question

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 06:00:08 PST 2008

Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> 2008/12/1 Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com>:
>
>> Games and trademarks is an interesting topic to discuss on the new games-list
>> in general, I've noticed that other distro's (Debian for example) do not seem
>> to care much about this, even though it can be a real issue see the Scrabulous
>> example. In Fedora however, we always rename games which are clones, when they
>> have names to close to the original name, where possible working together with
>> upstream. Some examples:
>> lbreakout2 -> lbrickbuster2
>> armagetron-ad -> armacycles-ad
>> gnometris -> gnome-falling-blocks
>> xgalaga -> xgalaxy
>
> I agree. Maybe if we have to rename them we could do it in a way that
> all the distros and systems can share the same names?

Yes,

We really need to coordinate this, doing things like this often requires
changing not only code / strings but also some artwork. Atleast for me changing
artwork is quite a challenge (I'm getting better at the gimp due to this
though). So all in all these renames take quite some effort, so not reinventing
the wheel here is important. Also it would be good to have consistent new names
between distros.

Last, if we do this we need to try to coordinate with upstream. Some examples:
-rafkill in Fedora used to be called raptor and was renamed by upstream
-lbreakout2 -> lbrickbuster2 rename was done with upstreams consent (but
  without help)
-armagetron-ad -> armacycles-ad rename was done in conjunction with upstream,
  they helped in coming up with a new name and they made the new titlescreen
  themselves!

Regards,

Hans