[Games] Status update

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:55:24 PST 2008

Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 23:19, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar at 2008.43-1.org> wrote:
>
>> What about `topgit'?  I did not yet have time to look at it, but it
>> looks like it might be really helpful for our cause:
>
> We are aware of topgit and that it does pretty much exactly what
> we do manually with hex-a-hop. The plan is to try it with another
> repository, soon. We can then get a feel for how manual
> compares to topgit.

As i announced on debain-devel-games, I'm currently experimenting with
topgit for use with my package of Secondlife (omvviewer). Its been a
reasonable learning curve on top of git but i believe its starting to
pay back the investment with ease of generation of new patches and
re-basing existing patches when importing new upstream.

I think are are a few issues still such as being able to delete top git
controlled branches and renaming branches, plus we managed to kill the
repository once (although it was recoverable it was quicker to restore a
backup) but this was mostly our own fault.

If any one is interested I can point you towards my experimental git
repository so you can play yourself with a reasonably complex package
with topgit controlled topical branches for patches that (currently
only) builds a debian package.

Regards

Robin