gnome-mastermind trademark question

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Tue Dec 2 01:16:44 PST 2008

2008/12/2 Filippo Argiolas <fargiolas at gnome.org>:

> I'm sorry for the late reply but I had problems registering to the mailing-list
> I faced this trademark issue multiple times since the game is out.
> I looked for a new *good* name for quite some time but then gave up
> because I didn't find any. I'm still open to suggestions so feel free
> to give yours!

Hi Filippo! Welcome! Thanks for joining us :)

> Anyway, the usual practice of trademark holders is to send
> cease-and-desist letters before to take further legal actions, they
> never sent one and I'm ready to change the name if they'll do (or
> before if I find a good name).

While that might be a valid solution in your case, it is not for any
distribution, as physical CDs and DVDs might have already been
distributed, ISO versions of the stable distribution in the mirrors
and so. Changing a name afterwards due to being sued can have a high
economical cost for many people.

Greetings,
Miry