Games list on Debian Project News

Tue Dec 2 15:15:44 PST 2008

Miriam Ruiz <miriam at debian.org>:

> What do you think?

I went over the English part again. Please note the updated project
list.

Games usually need more patches than most other FLOSS software.
Sometimes, they are not maintained by their original developers
anymore, sometimes upstream does not care about Unix-compatibility or
they won't accept the changes that are required to make games work
properly. Traditionally, maintainers of every distribution had to
create their own patches and fixes to provide similar funcionality.
After successful collaboration between several major distributions, we
decided to take this to the next level. Members of Arch Linux, Debian,
Fedora, Fink, FreeBSD, Gentoo, OpenSolaris, PC-BSD, NetBSD, Slackware,
SuSE, Ubuntu and Yellow Dog as well as Gnome and KDE have decided to
join forces and start working together on <a
href="http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/games">games at lists.freedesktop.org</a>
and #freedesktop-games on irc.freenode.net. Collaboration on upstream
level is common these days, but distributions have largely remained
islands and it's time to fix that. Thus, we want to invite everyone,
upstream, maintainers and anyone else who might be interested to
join us in this collaborative effort.
To the best of our knowledge, this is effort is unique. But if
anyone could share experience or even start something like this
in their own fields of interest, it would be great :)

If you are OK with that version, can you adapt the Spanish one?
I would probably submit the English part tonight, then.

Richard