[Games] Common mailing list for cross-distro game development

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Wed Nov 26 01:52:20 PST 2008

Hi,

I've already sent a similar message to Mike a couple of days ago, but
I thought it would make sense to make it extensive to all of you.

I found your name in [1]. My name is Miriam Ruiz and I'm one of the
lead developers of the Debian Games Team. Hans de Goede (from the Fedora Games
Team) and us have been talking for a while to create a common
distribution-agnostic game development mailing list [2] to discuss game
related development common to all the distributions.

Games are probably the kind of software that needs more patching and
maintenance, and in some cases we even have to effectively act as
upstreams ourselves. Currently every distro is doing that on their
own, and we end up making n times similar patches to provide similar
functionality (put files in the proper places, endianess and word size
stuff, building with newer versions of gcc or free toolchains, etc).
It makes a lot of sense to share among us all that stuff.

We've finally set up a mailing list [3] in the freedesktop mailing
lists. I've made ain initial introduction on the project there [4], so
you might be interested in reading it and meybe give some feedback.
Might the people in Gentoo be interested in joining the project?
Please, feel free to forward my email to anyone that would be
interested.

Thanks,
Miry

[1] http://games.gentoo.org/