Games from Parallel Realities and non-free/illegal data

Sylvain Beucler beuc at beuc.net
Tue Aug 25 09:19:20 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 01:51:17PM +0200, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:28:18AM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > Parallel Realities recently clarified the licensing of their
> > games' data, which were first believed to be GPL'd:
> >
> >   http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/about/
> >
> >   "Please be aware, however, that game assets are Non Free and should
> >   not be distributed as part of Linux or made available within any
> >   source repositories that does not allow non-free assets"

> At the start of this year, there was already some discussion with the upstream
> author and packagers of some other distributions about what assets are
> non-free. The problem is that the upstream author used music, sounds, and in
> the case of starfighter some graphics, from "free" resources.

I think there are 2 distinct issues:

- illegaly distributed data (mainly musics, sounds) - which needs to
  be removed in any case

- data created by Parallel Realities that they explicitely declared
  non-free as seen above (levels, texts, 3D models, etc.)

> In any case, do not ask for removal of blobwars and blobandconquer!

Given the above, I think we need to request a section change to
'non-free' for blowars and blobandconquer.

Unless there's another statement about PR's data?

Their tarballs completely lack copyright/license info about the data,
so right now the (only) website statement is canonical.

--
Sylvain