Status of island-track copyright

Joerg Henrichs joerg at luding.org
Thu Jan 29 18:38:42 PST 2009

Hi Christoph,

sorry for not letting your email through to the stk-devel list -
besides being probably a bit too boring for most people on the list
(I cc all admins here) there is the fact that the outside temperature
is 42+ degrees, and the desktop with the password for the stk-devel
list is in a non-airconditioned room :)

> Please CC me on any answers (and potentially Debian,Freedesktop ML]
Done

> Hi all!
>
> I'm the person who brought supertuxkart 0.5 into the Debian archive
> and am currently working on your new release 0.6. While doing the
Hmm - I am a bit surprised, since 0.5 included the same track with
the same license ;)  Guess we got lucky?

> regular Copyright check I stumbled upon the License.txt in the island
> track which is pretty much an stopper for any efforts in this regard.
I am most certainly not a license expert, but the license for those
textures appear to be quite liberal. What is the problem with them?

>  While I could probably replace some textures (I'll have to do this
> for the CC < 3 in xr591) replacing all textures for this island
> track is simply impossible for me.
I can see that (I want to ask what's wrong with cc 2.5, but I guess
I can find this in some FAQ). On a side note: if you replace the
textures, could you perhaps send us the modified textures as well?
While I can't guarantee that we will use them, we will have a look
at them!

>  What are your plans concerning this track? Any input for what to do
> next? Supertuxkart 0.6 is quite nice to play and it would really be
> sad if I could not make it available trough Debian ;)
Well, we have atm no further plans with this track - meaning it's one
of the graphically nicer tracks, but I can't see anyone of our
development team (and we are talking of mostly three people) having
the time to replace all textures (though of course we are happy to
receive a patch :)  ). We will discuss this among us admins, but
honestly I can't promise anything atm.

If STK can not be included in Debian, at least we have by now a
static linux executable, which the Debian users can download ;)

Or do you see any other option? Perhaps you could post in a Debian
forum to see if someone volunteers? I am sure that Debian has a
bigger audience than STK :)

Best regards,
   Joerg