[Supertuxkart-devel] Fwd: Irrlicht patch

Joerg Henrichs joerg at luding.org
Thu Jul 30 18:34:05 PDT 2009

Hi Christian,

[...]
>     As I was told on IRC, supertuxkart wants a patch against the
> irrlicht library for a fully functional 0.7 Version. While this just
> adds a symbol I'm obviously not really happy to patch _shared_
> libraries for single applications.
I am aware of that.

>     Does the supertuxkart Team know whether the symbol is already
> added / to be added unchanged in irrlicht for their next release so
> the symbol won't disappear in 1.6 if I patch it into 1.5?
I have posted on the irrlicht forum, and asked if this functionality
could be added in the next release, but had no answer so far. I wrote an
email to one of the project maintainer (who is very supportive of STK),
but haven't had an answer yet.

I hope that the needed functionality will be added to irrlicht, but I
obviously can't speak for the irrlicht developers. Unfortunately I
couldn't just create a new version of the driver in STK, since I have to
call some functions in the driver that are private :(

I am sure that by the time STK and irrlicht will be release, we will
have a permanent solution for this.

> Can I be
> sure there won't be other symbols added / removed / changed for the
> supertuxkart irrlicht?
I can't say - so far we found one function that is very useful for us,
there might be more. But I hope that irrlicht and STK can sort those
problems out.

We are aware of issues of package maintainer, and we will certainly do
our best to avoid a maintenance nightmare for you! Just be aware that we
are currently still far away from a release, and now and again we need a
quick solution to make more progress, but we do our best to have a
proper solution long term.

Cheers,
    Joerg