Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri May 6 00:09:07 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 05/05/2011 11:20 AM, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
> Jon Dowland wrote:
>> I'd like to hear from some other distros to see who else does what before
>> considering such a move.
>
> FWIW, the common practice on FreeBSD is to place game binaries into
> /usr/local/bin, static game data into /usr/local/share/<gamename>, and
> variable game data into /var/games/<gamename>. There are some
> exceptions, but this is how most ports work.

Interesting if you s@/usr/local@/usr@ FreeBSD is doing the exact
same thing as Fedora.

> As for /var data permissions, setgid binaries with group "games" are
> common (/var/games is owned by root:games); I don't think there's any
> effort to improve security above whatever the upstream offers.

Yes, in practice the discussed attack vector does not seem something
which often gets used / security bugs get filed for (*). Still I think
it would be good to agree on a way to best harden setgid games games,
esp. for the mentioned wiki page with advises for upstreams for games.

*) Likely because there is lower hanging fruit for blackhats to abuse.

Regards,

Hans