Wifi positioning backends

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Wed Aug 1 04:22:39 PDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Jussi Kukkonen <jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> This turned out to be fairly easy and I was able reuse a lot of hostip
> code (the functions are still copy-pasted, not #included). This is what
> I currently have (omitting debug messages):
  [ snipped output ]

wow! very cool! well done, can't wait to play with it.

> Btw, assigning an accuracy value to coordinates from plazes is going to
> be a bit hairy too -- the accuracy of my example is somewhere around 50m
> (the range of my AP + some error in my AP location) but not all APs will
> have a an accurate location... maybe 100-500m is a good guestimate.

Indeed. Maybe we could ping Plazes and see if it's something they
could add. I would think they could deduce some estimate of the
accuracy of their geolocation attempt - at least by saying they *know
* that you're at this AP.

Regarding some distance estimate, I would think 100m be the top-most
error, b/c most AP's don't typically have a range much beyond that.