Wifi positioning backends

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Wed Aug 1 06:57:28 PDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Stephen Wing <stephen at wintoncourt.co.uk> wrote:
> Andrew Turner wrote:
> > Regarding some distance estimate, I would think 100m be the top-most
> > error, b/c most AP's don't typically have a range much beyond that.
>
> But does itprecisely locate their APs in the first place - if the
> location of the AP is only accurate to 500m in the first place, then
> this may be a bigger limiter than the range of the AP itself.

Good point - Plazes itself doesn't locate the AP's, it just relies on
users to identify where they are. And Plazes could have gotten the
info from AP, Cell, or Web - so you may be right in that the error is
larger.

Of course, the number is fairly irrelevant for this case - which is
why hopefully any client would pay attention moreso to 'civic
accuracy'.

> Steve

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W