backends need some OO loving

Jussi Kukkonen jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi
Tue Aug 28 13:22:24 PDT 2007

This isn't too close to my original idea, but I'm fairly happy with my
re-design of the C Backends:
 - Add GeoclueWebService helper class
 - All GeocluePosition objects need to implement a PositionProvider
   gobject interface

I've already implemented (and committed) GeoclueWebService, which should
make web service interaction easy for all C backends. It lives in
backend/common/ (I also moved geoclue_position_error.* there).

Hostip and Plazes backends already use GeoclueWebService, geocode_yahoo
and map_yahoo do not yet use it. The class is built with nanohttp at the
moment, but putting libsoap in there will be quite easy (I promise I'll
do it if there are any problems).

After that's all done, I'll see if I can fix the GeocluePosition-objects
themselves: A common ancestor for all the backend objects was a bad
idea, but I've decided to define a gobject Interface they'll all have to
implement. There's a stub interface already in
backend/common/geoclue_iposprovider.* -- I'll try this and see if it's
worth it.

BTW: If you're autotools-literate please take a look at
backend/common/Makefile.am -- it works but I'd like to see if automake
can make this more automatic...
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=geoclue.git;a=blob;f=backend/common/Makefile.am

-jussi