Wifi positioning backends

Henri Bergius henri.bergius at iki.fi
Thu Jul 26 00:18:41 PDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Stephen Wing <stephen at wintoncourt.co.uk> wrote:
> Having said that, and based on some testing of the Navizon client last
> night, I think an open, free solution is better - if we choose the right
> one, we can help them build a decent database even if it's not there now.

Some stuff on that here:

http://janus.liebregts.nl/cellid/index_en.html

And then some ideas for location-based services based on GeoClue:

http://www.psiloc.com/index.html?action=ShowArticleItem&ida=154

> What other apps / application types are being considered for wanting /
> needing Geoclue support, and which options would best suit each...?

The good thing is that we don't have to choose. Any geoclue app can
use any backend :-)

Of course, some backends will be more useful to some apps than others,
but even Maemo Mapper would benefit from the less accurate methods
like hostip - it would be better to at least center on the right city
than just to "somewhere".

> Having said all that, I think AP positioning will be easier to
> implement, and should come before mobile phone positioning

MaemoPlazer does that to some degree already (though using the
proprietary Plazes database). It just needs to be verified to work
with latest GeoClue...

> Steve

/Henri

PS. Thanks for the links, Tero!