Outline & Schedule

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Wed Jun 13 07:08:27 PDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Jussi Kukkonen <jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> Andrew Turner wrote:
> > Hi all - I was wondering if there was any progress or schedule for
> > GeoClue summer work yet?
>
> Why yes, thanks for asking (sorry I missed you on IRC yesterday). Before
> getting into my progress report, a question: Do others have plans to
> work on the code during the next two months? We should coordinate, if
> you do...

I definitely am - and I believe Bergie is too.

>  ** Code
> I finally feel comfortable with the geoclue code and have a few bugfixes
>  ready. I was just in contact with Keith and we agreed that a fairly
> liberal commit access is fine: You can expect new code today.
>
> About the changes: Mostly they're just getting rid of compile warnings
> or trivial fixes to bugs, but there's also a new xpath based xml-reader
> for the hostip position backend -- I had several problems using the
> current one.
>

>  ** Documents and plans
> There's no schedule as of yet, but I agree I really should already have
> one... I'll whip one up during the week, ok?
>
> I had been hoping for comments on my project plans, but the pdf format
> may have been problematic for commenting... I'll revise and post the
> parts I'd _really_ like to get comments on to the mailing list.

Yes, as we talked about in IRC - pdf is not a discussion format. :)
Wiki/text is.

> I've started writing a "Why GeoClue Matters"-document (for application
> developers and such), the draft is at
> http://koti.welho.com/jkukkone/why-geoclue-matters.html. I believe it's
> now a bit one-sided, focusing on context sensitivity and missing a
> vision of the new functionalities we expect geoclue to enable. Comments
> or rewrites are welcome.

I don't see the need for a "why geoclue" now. More important is
actually *making* GeoClue.

The documents I see needing to be generated first:

* GeoClue overall architecture (could just be a block diagram)
* Location Provider DBus format
* Location Access DBus Format
* Location Provider suggested architecture (use hostip as default/example)

>  ** packaging
> After help from Inz, I think I have the initial debian packaging done.
> I'll put at least sources for at least the maemo packages up after tying
> some loose strings.

There was talk at one point about rewriting GeoClue primary part in
Python. What were the thoughts on that?

>  -jku

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W