geoclue providers etc

Jussi Kukkonen jku at o-hand.com
Tue Jul 1 03:14:20 PDT 2008

Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi Peter,
I'm CCing Doug Turner just in case I've misunderstood his geoloc-code
(Hi Doug).

> A couple of queries about providers for geoclue. There's a mention on
> the site that google providers can't be used unless its for gmaps.

Well, actually http://geoclue.freedesktop.org/ says that _Google Maps
API_ license only allows using the API for showing google maps. Quoth
the TOS:
  "You may use the Maps API geocoder solely to obtain and display points
   on map images provided through the Service."

> I noticed mozilla is using them [1] in a geo provider for their mobile
> browser which I would think could be used by things in a browser other
> than gmaps.

Hmm, I didn't that while briefly looking at the code? As far as I can
see it's an implementation of Google Gears location API that uses maemos
liblocation and a an included nmea parser (something everyone seems to
like to reinvent :) ) to get coordinates.

> Also I had a bit of a hunt around for gsmloc a while ago but couldn't
> get a definitive answer to its homepage and hence which version of the
> lib is official. Does someone have those details.

There is no gsmloc lib... gsmloc.org is the webservice the geoclue
provider uses, but it seems to be down. Christopher Schmidt has probably
stopped running it: http://crschmidt.net/blog/305/gsmloc-cell-data/ .
This is sad, but understandable: the site never got the momentum it
needed to grow.

> Finally also related to the first point above.... it would be cool to
> add geoclue support to the moz provider above.... I'm more a packager
> than a coder so I'm not so sure that I'm the best to do it but there's
> details in the bug below (also [1]).

Oh, absolutely.  From my very brief code review, I'd say it would not be
difficult.

Jussi

--
Jussi Kukkonen <jku at o-hand.com>