gsm positioning

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Fri Mar 14 11:59:19 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Holger Freyther <zecke at openmoko.org> wrote:
 > Jussi Kukkonen <jku at ...> writes:
 >

 >  > By the way, here's the Quote of The Day from Planet Openmoko: Zecke
 >  > talks about what they are planning:
 >  >   "This application is combining GPS, GeoClue, Jabber, your Journal with
 >  >    each other and providing a bling-bling interface using EFL. When
 >  >    walking around in a foreign city you can see where you friends are,
 >  >    were, where they haven taken their cool pictures that you have seen
 >  >    on flickr, get routing with OpenStreetmap to find your way, see
 >  >    people with the same interests as you, take a city tour people like
 >  >    you have enjoyed, let your Freerunner guide you through the city, go
 >  >    sight-seeing or just chat with your relatives back home (and
 >  >    certainly be able to control your privacy). I hope we will have some
 >  >    more videos up in the next couple of weeks."
 >  > http://zecke.blogspot.com/2008/03/qtwebkit-illume-and-diversity.html
 >  >
 >  > A bit of hype, I suppose (e.g. openstreetmap routing sounds like a pipe
 >  > dream at moment), but interesting...
 >  >

 >  Hey,
 >  thanks for leaving a comment in the blog. Yes, it is certainly a
bit of hype and
 >  some of the goals are far reached. On the other hand some of us spent some
 >  amount of time thinking about the usecases and sat down and wrote
code (not me
 >  though) and the code was moved to the public and we will continue
to develop it
 >  there. So understand the blog as my excitment on GeoClue and
Diversity and what
 >  you can do with it.

 Actually - not really that much of a pipe-dream. We do just about this
 very thing with Mapufacture. So you can build a map with your various
 sources: friends locations from Plazes, Flickr photos, local news,
 wikipedia guides - and then geolocate that from GeoClue. Right now I
 download the GPX to MaemoMapper so they all show up as POI's.