Problems using the geoclue master client.

Jussi Kukkonen jku at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 13 04:09:25 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 16:56 -0800, Kishen Maloor wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some quick questions.
>
> I have built and set up geoclue 0.11.
>
> I am trying to run the "master-pos-example" example client.
> I ran geoclue-master manually in a separate window and captured
> the following debug output:
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: client: 1 position providers matching
> requirements found, now choosing current provider
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: client: connecting to 'Gypsy'
> accuracy-changed and status-changed
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: client: choosing best provider
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG:         ...trying provider Gypsy
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: Gypsy: Updating cache
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: client: provider Gypsy status changed: 2
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: client: Gypsy accuracy changed (0)
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG:         ...but provider choice in progress
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: client: provider Gypsy status changed: 0
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG:         ...started Gypsy (status 0),
> re-starting provider selection
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: Gypsy without clients
> ** (process:17283): DEBUG: client: position provider changed (to NULL)
> ===
> and the example client's output is "No provider available"
>
> For some reason it is unable to start up and run the gypsy provider.
> I have gypsy installed and also have the gypsy-daemon running.
> When I run "position-example" for Gypsy it works fine and I see
> position change notifications. But the master provider seems not to
> work.

I'll have a look... It seems that Gypsy provider has no accuracy (or at
least master thinks so).

> Also, I modified the master-pos-example code and changed the provider
> requirements to accept an accuracy of
> "GEOCLUE_ACCURACY_LEVEL_DETAILED" and set require_updates to FALSE.
> Now, in the debug outs I was able to see that although it found
> plazes, hostip and gypsy as candidate providers, it only attempted to
> load gypsy and failed in the same manner as above. (also without
> attempting to load any of the other alternative providers)

That would be because you required GEOCLUE_ACCURACY_LEVEL_DETAILED (the
most accurate one), only gps backends will fulfill that requirement.

> I also wanted to clarify a couple of other things. If I need to use
> gypsy with geoclue,
> I need to manually invoke the gypsy-daemon right?

Yeah, unfortunately gypsy doesn't do activation yet... I think adding
that to gypsy shouldn't be that much work now that D-Bus system
activation is available: I'm sure Iain would appreciate the patch :)

> It seems like the main advantage of using geoclue as the front-end to
> gypsy is the ability to use the master provider. Is that correct?

Correct. If you know you'll be just using Gypsy you should use Gypsy
directly, no need for geoclue. In the ideal case using geoclue would
mean you get position from gypsy or gpsd, depending on which is
installed.

-Jussi