Configuration API problems

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Apr 23 08:11:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 17:39 +0300, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I have 2 overlapping problems with the current providers configuration
> > framework.
> >
> > First, I wanted to add support for setting the baud rate for the gypsy
> > backend (and somebody can then add it to the gpsd one). The options
> > passed to backends are a{ss}, where a{sv} would be more appropriate to
> > allow passing integers. Should I break the API and fixup all the
> > backends?
>
> I probably wouldn't have bothered but sure, it does sound like the Right
> Thing.

This could be useful in a number of occasions, not that we have that
many options anyway.

> > (We mentioned we wanted the providers API private anyway).
>
> Hmm? What was this related to?

Our discussion at GCDS.

Do we want to allow external providers, using the geoclue helper APIs?
If not, I'd make sure we don't install any private headers, and build
but not install the internal gtk-doc documentation.

Otherwise we'll need to find another way of making sure application
users don't use it.

> > The second one is with GConf. I wanted to port the code to use GSettings
> > instead, which can not list keys available in a schema right now (or
> > have keys without a schema). Does anyone have a problem with me adding a
> > schema (and documenting) our configuration options?
>
> Absolutely not :)

Cool.