tester for gpsd fixes

Jussi Kukkonen jku at linux.intel.com
Sat Feb 20 04:05:54 PST 2010

Hi Berndt, all,

Bernd Zeimetz has updated the gpsd provider, his patches are in 'gpsd'
branch. I have failed to find a gpsd-compatible device (one that would
actually boot at the moment) in the house, so... Bernd (or anyone else
willing to check): could you confirm that you have tested that the
provider works? I was a bit unclear about that from the bug comment.

I don't really know the gpsd side of this very well, but I have two
comments on the polling:

I originally used gps_set_callback() because in my opinion client
polling is a stupid idea here: gpsd is the one who knows when there is
data, we don't. I'm not an expert though, so I'm fine with changing that
if it's the way things are supposed to be done. It's just that seeing
g_timeout_add() used in a situation that doesn't seem to require either
polling or sub-second resolution, bugs me.

We should at least stop polling when things go south (say gps_open()
fails). It's a minor detail, no need to update patch.

- Jussi