implement org.freedesktop.Geoclue.Position iface for localnet ?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:30:28 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Jussi Kukkonen <jku at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> arno wrote:
>
>> The basic needs are:
>>> 1. We want to let users define their location manually, possibly from
>>>   several applications
>>> 2. This manual input must be able to override other sources
>>>   (so users can correct wrong location info)
>>> 3. we should "save" this manual info for later use
>>>   (based on MAC address, possibly other things)
>>> 4. saved info must be easily modified/erased
>>>

>> I can see two other needs:
>>
>> * have a default position, which does not depend on the gateway or
>> anything else. Ie: user wants its software to believe he is in position XY
>> no matter where he really is.
>>

> Hmm, I guess. I'm not convinced this sort of functionality should live in
> "localnet" though (see below)
>

>  * set an accuracy: so user can tell: I'm not further than xx meters or
>> kilometers from position XY.
>>

> The Position input does need an accuracy, absolutely. With Address the
> accuracy is pretty much implied...
>

>  I'm thinking here about web geolocation where websites can ask for
>> location. For privacy reason, user may wish to give a wrong position or an
>> inaccurate one.
>>

> I see your point. I still think this "lying" should probably happen in the
> application that sends the data to the web or if need be in a separate
> "fake-location" provider. Most likely it would be in the application: you
> wouldn't want your other position-reliant applications to get confused when
> you're telling your twitter buddies you're in Bermuda :)

I think a 'default' location provider would be a very useful feature. This
would allow the user to set or store a default location whether than be
their home, work address or some random location in the middle of the
Atlantic Ocean. We could possibly have the option to set/store/retrieve that
information from the 'about me' app in gnome/kde/random desktop through
e-d-s so its easy to find and set and then possible fall back to a .config
file for the user or similar.

Peter