geocode-glib: Geocoding, reverse geocoding library

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Apr 21 17:08:00 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 23:39 +0200, Quikee wrote:
<snip>
> Hi,
>
> I was already making a library that does various geo-services like
> routing, POI and other geo-information (pictures, wikipedia). I also
> experimented with geocoding/reverse geocoding using Nominatim and
> GeoNames.

This seems to be applications of geocoding/rev-geocoding, rather than
the geocoding itself. I think we'd want libraries building on top of
geocode-glib, rather than incorporating those in geocode-glib.

>  I was wondering if we could combine all this and make a
> general library for geo-services for example called
> "geoclue-services".

I don't have much of a problem in having a library like that, but it
seems higher-level than what I was thinking about.

>  I will try to put the my code up during the
> weekend and then we can see what can be done with this. I am using
> Vala for this - using C is to verbose for such things.

C is a bit more code, yes, but it's also "not a toy language" (and some
people will scream at me, and I will point to them at Vala bugs that you
wouldn't when writing in C, I don't want to have to deal with bugs
caused by the language for platform libraries).

> So what do you think?

I'd be happy to see the code, but it's a bit outside of what I would
want to work on, or what I would feel should be in geocode-glib. Eg.
would Empathy use it? Probably not. Would Eye Of GNOME, F-Spot or
Shotwell want to use it for your holiday pictures? Most likely, yes :)